Gordon Mikoski, MDiv '88, MA '89, associate professor of Christian education, earned his MDiv and MA degrees from the Seminary, and his PhD from Emory University. His research and teaching interests focus on Christian education, the sacraments, the doctrine of the Trinity, and practical theology. He has written and edited several books, including: Integrating Work in Theological Education, co-edited with Kathleen Cahalan and Ed Foley (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2017); Opening the Field of Practical Theology, co-edited with Kathleen Cahalan (New York: Rowman and Littlefield, 2014); Straining at the Oars: Case Studies in Pastoral Leadership, with H. Dana Fearon III (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2013); With Piety and Learning: The History of Practical Theology at Princeton Theological Seminary, 1812-2012, with Richard R. Osmer (Münster, Germany: Lit Verlag, 2011); and Baptism and Christian Identity: Teaching in the Triune Name (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009). He serves as the editor for Theology Today and as the director of the PhD program at the Seminary. An ordained Presbyterian minister, he served a church in the Detroit area for eight years before returning to academia.
- “The Doctrine of the Sacraments,” Oxford Handbook of Presbyterianism. New York: Oxford, forthcoming.
- “On the Mediation of Mediation of Mediation: The (Im)possibility of Online Communion and the Limits of Online Worship” [translated and published simultaneously as “Über die Mediation der Mediation der Mediation: Die (Un-)Mö glichkeit von Online-Abendmahl”], Liturgie und Kultur: Zeitschrift der Liturgischen Konferenz für Gottesdienst, Musik, und Kunst, 8:1 (2018), 6-18.
- “Confirmation Basics: Purpose, Design, and Leadership” with Teri Elton and Lisa Kimball, Word and World (2018).
- “From Magic Curriculums to the Interplay of the Workbench: Some Insights about Learning and the Brain for Rethinking Confirmation Work,” Word and World (2018).
- “Learning in the Image of God: Encountering God in Body, Mind, Spirit, and Relationship,” with Katherine M. Douglass, Confirming Faith: Faith Formation as Practical Theology, edited by Richard R. Osmer and Katherine M. Douglass, Eerdmans, 2018.
- “A Spirit-Led People: Traditioned Innovation for Confirmation in Congregations and Denominations,” with Reginald Blount, Confirming Faith: Faith Formation as Practical Theology, edited by Richard R. Osmer and Katherine M. Douglass, Eerdmans, 2018.
- “Bodying Forth the Forms of Things Unknown,” Theology Today 74(3), 2017.
- “Reimagining the Future in Light of our Evolutionary Past,” Theology Today 73(4), 2017.
- “A Failure of Theological Imagination: Beginning to Deal with the Legacy of Princeton Seminary on Matters of Slavery and Race,” Theology Today 73(2), 2016.