Visiting the Library

Visiting the Library

Students walking down atrium stairwell
Princeton Theological Seminary Library

Maps and Directions

Study Spaces in the Library

Library Hours

Procedures and Forms*

*Relating to Special Collections in the library

Exhibits

The entrance exhibit of the library celebrates the 300th anniversary of the birth of British evangelist George Whitefield, one of the most noted preachers of his day and a key figure in the “Great Awakening” of the mid-18th century. Of particular note, the exhibit features the personal journal of Whitefield, kept between October 17, 1744 and August 7, 1746. It also contains a copy of the first edition of the autobiographical account of his early life and the beginnings of his ministry, published in 1740, and of a hymnal he compiled in 1756. A digital exhibit, The Grand Itinerant – George Whitefield at 300 curated by Digital Archivist Jackie Rider, is also available.

Around the corner is a small exhibit dedicated to the Fifty Year Class of 1964. Along with their graduation photograph and the report on the event there is a reproduction from the final page of that year’s Wineskin. This publication, begun by members of the Class of 1964, is still put out today (albeit now in digital form) as the main Seminary current events publication that continues to keep us all informed as to what is going on at the Seminary. The next two windows feature two Seminary-related persons, both born 100 years ago in 1914. The first is dedicated to Bruce Manning Metzger, the noted Biblical scholar and beloved George L. Collard Professor of New Testament Language and Literature. The second is dedicated to William H. Scheide, our Emeritus Trustee and a good friend and neighbor of the Seminary, who still lives just down the block on Library Place here in Princeton.

The main concourse exhibit features antiquities from the private collection of Professor James H. Charlesworth. The exhibit gallery on the first floor of the North Wing displays portraits of some of our most prominent nineteenth century professors, as well as portraits of each of the Seminary’s past presidents. The cases in the room illustrate the life and ministry of Sheldon Jackson, born in 1834 and one of the most colorful of the Seminary’s nineteenth century graduates. A missionary to the American West and Alaska, among his many noteworthy achievements was the introduction of reindeer to Alaska to help feed and clothe the native Inuit population.

The second floor of the library features a room dedicated to the Presbyterian heritage in Korea and its connections with our Seminary and on the opposite side of the building a case with religious artifacts from around the world. Many of them were gathered in the earlier part of the 20th century as part of the Zwemer Museum on world missions which was located in Stuart Hall from the 1930s through the 1950s. Some of the African artifacts were the gift of former Princeton Seminary Trustee Fred Christian and his wife Eva. The third floor Scholar Commons has a photo exhibit celebrating the presence of women at Princeton Theological Seminary.

The Brick Café

We are all excited about the new library building, and now the Office of Housing and Auxiliary Services and Princeton Theological Seminary Library are pleased to announce that the café in the library is now open. Enjoy fresh brewed coffee, lattes, iced coffee, frozen drinks, salads, sandwiches and other tasty items available for purchase Monday through Friday 8am-7:30pm and Saturday 8am-noon.** Read about the October 13, 2014 dedication of the Brick Café.

**Exceptions to regular café hours

December 20, 2014 - CLOSED
December 22-23, 2014 - 8am-4pm
December 24, 2014-January 4, 2015 - CLOSED
January 5-24: Mon-Fri 8am-4pm, Sat Noon-4pm
January 19, 2015 - CLOSED

Maps and Directions

Please visit the Maps and Directions page for more information, including shelving locations, as well as areas with study tables and soft seating options throughout the new building.

See also — About the Library