Miller Chapel, built in 1834, and renovated in 2000 was named for Samuel Miller, the second professor at the Seminary, and is the center of worship life at PTS. Originally located beside Alexander Hall, it was moved in 1933 toward the center of the campus and its existence from the early decades of the Seminary testifies to the centrality of worship to life at this institution. Here we come to a place where we can share our gifts in a welcoming atmosphere. Because the faculty, students, and administration of the Seminary are members of their respective churches in communities both local and worldwide, Miller Chapel is not a "church" in the sense that an ordered congregation, under the direction of a called pastor and elected leadership. Our worship is God-directed, and its focus is on both the community and the individual encountering God. In response to God's initiative and as an expression of our unity in Christ Jesus, members of the community gather for worship daily, Monday through Friday. Worship is led by students, faculty, administration, and visiting guests or alumni/ae, and music is provided by Seminary choirs and musicians. Celebrations of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper are conducted weekly, usually according to the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition. In recognition of our commitment to ecumenicity as represented in all the constituencies of the Seminary community, worship according to traditions other than the Reformed is encouraged and provided, both for the enrichment of corporate worship and for the enlightenment of all.
Since its founding in 1812 approximately 21,000 men and women have studied at Princeton Theological Seminary in its various programs. Women have graduated in significant numbers only in the last twenty years, but now compose approximately one half of the M.Div. students preparing for a variety of forms of ministry. Graduates presently serve the church throughout the nation, with alumni/ae represented in every state. Almost 1,000 Princeton alumni/ae serve the world church in more than 100 foreign countries. Throughout the Seminary's history, students have come to Princeton from diverse undergraduate colleges and universities, as well as from the graduate programs of many other theological schools. Rooted in the Reformed tradition, Princeton has always maintained close ties with its parent denomination, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The Reformed tradition includes a commitment to ecumenical dialogue, so Princeton has also welcomed students from other Protestant denominations, as well as from the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. Each year the student body includes a large number of international students registered in various degree programs. The dialogue and exchange between North American students and their colleagues from overseas is an invaluable part of theological education for both.
Princeton is an academic, research, business, and residential community located midway between New York and Philadelphia. Rich in history, the town was already on the map in colonial times and was the site of the Battle of Princeton during the American Revolution. Princeton has been home to many distinguished statesmen and thinkers. Aaron Burr, Jonathan Edwards, and Grover Cleveland lie buried in the Princeton cemetery. Princeton University began as The College of New Jersey in 1746 and many decades later Woodrow Wilson became its president and then went on to the White House. Albert Einstein, too, strolled the streets of the town from his home on Mercer Street, just below the Seminary, to his office at the Institute for Advanced Study. The Princeton of today is much changed from its colonial past. The University still stands at the center of the community, but several other academic institutions known for excellence in their fields have joined it — the Westminster Choir College, the Institute for Advanced Study, the Center for Theological Inquiry, and, of course, the Seminary. These schools continue to lend a quiet atmosphere of learning to the heart of the community, while around its perimeter a growing number of corporate centers and research laboratories thrive. Still in essence a small town, Princeton has an uncommon breadth of cultural and educational resources. Residents and students alike have access to libraries, museums, churches, theaters, concerts, athletic events, and public lectures in the immediate vicinity, as well as the unequaled resources of New York and Philadelphia, each only a short distance by train or car.
Student Government - coordinates student activities and concerns, represents the students in contracts with the faculty and administration, and facilitates student involvement in non-Seminary organizations and interests.
Student Organizations - organized and led by students, are helpful as one moves through the challenges and celebrations of seminary life. Meeting the needs of a student's gender, ethnicity, theological persuasion, or vocational interest, the Seminary encourages participation in and interaction between student organizations.
Koinonia - a society composed of students who are working toward the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Meetings are held from time to time during the academic year, at which diverse themes of theological interest are discussed.
Special Lectureships - Six endowed lectureships are offered each year. Through the publication of the lectures as delivered or in expanded form, they have produced a considerable body of theological and missionary literature.
Special Concerts and Plays
Hunger Run / Stewardship Fundraisers
Women in Church and Ministry Annual Lecture
Korean Association of Princeton Theological Seminary (KAPTS)
Association of Black Seminarians
Theological Student Fellowship
Seminarians for Social Change
and much more...