—Founded in 1812, the
Seminary is celebrating 200 years of preparing men and women to serve the
church throughout the world—
Princeton Theological Seminary’s Bicentennial
celebration began with two worship services, held in Miller Chapel on Thursday,
March 22 at 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. To
begin each service, the bell in the cupola of Alexander Hall, the Seminary’s
first building (1815), was rung 200 times, once for every year of the
newly commissioned text of the Bicentennial Hymn was unveiled at the services. The preacher was Dr. Robert W. Bohl, chair of the Princeton Theological
Seminary Board of Trustees, former pastor of Village Presbyterian Church in Prairie
Village, Kansas, and Princeton Theological Seminary graduate, Class of 1961. Iain
Torrance, president of Princeton Theological Seminary and professor of
patristics, was the Eucharistic presider.
the past, rejoicing in the present, and looking forward to the future, the Bicentennial
Worship Service initiates a seven-month celebration in honor of the Seminary’s 200
years of service and scholarship. As part of the celebration, several
conferences, concerts, and events are planned throughout the year. To view the
complete schedule of events or to download audio clips, visit www.ptsem.edu.
Princeton Seminary was established in 1812 by
the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church as a post-graduate professional
school of theology. For two hundred years, the Seminary has been
a community of faithful scholars preparing students for ministry and for
service to the church and the world. The Seminary continues to carry
on a tradition that combines rigorous theological training with a focus on
spirituality and piety of the heart.
There are currently
more than 500 students enrolled in six-degree programs at Princeton Theological
Seminary, the largest Presbyterian Seminary in the country.
W. Bohl, chair of the Princeton Theological Seminary Board of Trustees (left)
and President Iain Torrance
community celebrates its Bicentennial in Miller Chapel.
choir in front of Alexander Hall, the Seminary’s oldest building (1815).