Princeton, NJ, April 11, 2013–Princeton Theological Seminary will present a handbell
concert “Sounds of America” for the Seminary and Princeton communities on Saturday,
April 20, 2013, at 3:00 p.m. in Miller Chapel on the Seminary’s main campus. It
will include sacred and secular music from the past and present American
tradition. The concert, under the direction of Rachel Barker, features the
Princeton Ringers, made up of Princeton Seminary and Princeton University
students, spouses, staff, alumni/ae, and friends.
Robert and William Cor of Aldbourne, Wiltshire, England, developed the first
tuned handbells between 1696 and 1724. Originally used by change ringers (who
rang a set of tuned bells in a series of mathematical patterns called
“changes”) to rehearse outside their towers, the handbell sets had the same
number of bells as did the towers (usually six to twelve handbells tuned to a
Shurcliff brought the first handbells from England to the United States in
1902. She was presented a set of ten handbells in London by Arthur Hughes, the
general manager of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, after completing two separate
two-and-one-half-hour change ringing peals in one day.
The concert is free and open to the public. For more information, please contact the Chapel Office at 609.497.7890. Click here for directions to the Seminary.
Theological Seminary was founded in 1812, the first seminary established by the
General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. It is the largest Presbyterian
Seminary in the country, with more than 500 students in six graduate degree