Print PagePTS CalendarsPTS on FacebookPTS on LinkedInPTS on TwitterPTS on Pinterest

home  |  pts community  |  blackboard  |  webmail  |  search pts  |  wineskin  |  be social

Bicentennial Graphic Header 1


  1812-1861       1862-1911       1912-1961         1962-1999      2000-2012  

A Princeton Seminary Timeline   1962 – 1999



Center of Continuing Education begun in Adams House. Princeton Theological Seminary Sesquicentennial celebrated. Karl Barth visits Princeton Theological Seminary.



Visit of Russian churchmen touring the U.S. under National Council of Churches sponsorship



Edward F. Gallahue World Religions Conference on Interfaith and Intercultural Communication. PCUS affirms the ordination of women as ministers of the Word and Sacrament.



Beating death of Seminary alumnus James Reeb (’53). A number of Seminary faculty and students join Selma-Montgomery March for Civil Rights. Apartment complex on Route One acquired at sheriff’s sale for married student housing (later named Charlotte Rachel Wilson Apartments). Seminary acquires old Borough Hall property adjacent to Speer Library.



Seminary breaks ground for new heating and maintenance center



UPCUSA Confession of 1967 written by committee chaired by Princeton Seminary professor Edward Dowey. Book of Confessions published. Freda Gardner is promoted to assistant professor of Christian education with tenure, becoming the first tenured female professor.



The PTS Women’s Center, a place for the women of the community to discuss common goals and concerns, is founded



Erdman Hall dedicated. Pilot for D.Min. program announced. Edler Garnet Hawkins joins the Seminary faculty as Princeton’s first full-time African-American professor.



Formation of the Presbyterian Church in America



World Conference on Religion and Peace held at Princeton Theological Seminary



Creation of the Center of Theological Inquiry for post-doctoral advanced researchcti_50w.jpg



Thomas W. Gillespie named fifth President of Princeton Theological Seminary TWG50w.jpg

UPCUSA and PCUS reunited to form Presbyterian Church, USA.



Seminary offers its first computer-related course, “The Bible and the Computer.” Ground is broken for Templeton Hall.



Kyung-Chik Han Chair in Systematic Theology, first chair given to an American seminary in honor of an Asian Christian, is endowed. Professor Sang H. Lee appointed to the chair.Kyung_Chik_Han50w.jpg



Henry Luce III Library is dedicated



Institute for Youth Ministry established. Carol Gray Dupree Center for Children opened.



Center for Barth Studies established. Witherspoon Apartments opened.



Abraham Kuyper Prize and Lecture are established. Redesigned and renovated Erdman Hall opened.erdman-50w.jpg



Hispanic Theological Initiative invited to make Princeton Theological Seminary campus its home


For a short narrative history of Princeton Theological Seminary, as well as portraits, historic photographs, and writings by early Princeton Seminary authors, see the Special Collections website: